What is IGTV?
IGTV stands for Instagram TV and it allows creators to upload high-quality vertical videos from 15 seconds to 60 minutes long. The IGTV free app stands alone and anyone can create their own channel or it can be used with an existing Instagram account. Users can also view from within the Instagram app which has more than one billion users. IGTV allows you to post vertical videos and many are already praising the new addition because it’s so easy to use. It allows users to create more engaging content which is what social media is all about. Users are able to like comment and share IGTV videos just as they would with a regular Instagram post. They are also able to browse different channels in the popular section and are able to look up specific topics e.g. marketing.
IGTV is intriguing to a lot of social media marketers, especially those who have realised that video content is trending. InstagramTV is different from Instagram Live although on the surface they can seem similar. Much like a regular TV, IGTV has channels that users can access at any time whereas Instagram Live is streamed in real time and is only live for 24 hours. IGTV combines the power of YouTube and Instagram in one platform allowing for new business opportunities such as growth and promotion. Instagram is an extremely popular platform that has shown no signs of slowing down in the next few years.
Benefits of using IGTV
- Using IGTV can give your consumers an insight into your business, for example doing team introductions, office tours or behind the scenes videos to engage them more to what goes on and in order for your business to run smoothly.
- It generates more opportunities for engagement and conversions. Especially if you maintain a consistent posting schedule as this will allow you to gain more of a following. You’re also able to reach a new audience that you haven’t been able to reach before.
- It allows you to show off your creativity. The more creative you are the more you are likely to generate engagement with likes, comments and shares
- As it’s less than a year old, a lot of companies still aren’t using IGTV. Now is a good opportunity to take advantage of that, gain visibility and become established to stay ahead of your competition.
- It is a way for you to market to and engage with millennials and gen Z who favour social media over traditional TV. You can read more about the different ways to market to generations in this blog.
How do you use IGTV for your business?
Video marketing is being considered as the way to go if you’re looking to improve engagement and to boost conversions. By 2021, mobile video will account for 78% of total mobile data traffic. This means that videos are becoming more and more important to marketers and small businesses. An average person watches more than an hour and half of the online video content per day. Videos are an effective way of connecting with your audience and can boost how trustworthy your brand is. In 2018, 85% of people said they would like to see more videos from brands.
IGTV videos don’t have to be as polished as YouTube videos; this can make you seem more relatable to your consumers as the videos don’t always have to be shot professionally. Instagram reported that younger audiences are spending more time with amateur content creators than professionals. Try to incorporate all aspects of Instagram by posting about your latest IGTV on your stories to help promote your latest video and encourage people to watch and interact.
Adding captions makes your video more inclusive to all audiences, find out what tools are best to add subtitles to your videos in our blog!